The other day I was at a networking meeting and someone was talking about having had a business coach and how that person helped her grow her business. I thought about how to choose the right coach for you.
Here is what to do to pick the ideal coach for you and your small business.
- Choose the kind you need. There is a business coach, a life coach, one for marketing, social media, technology, for finance and more. What do you need?
- Ask people you trust for referrals. Who have THEY used?
- Interview at least three coaches. Remember to ask for names of their clients and permission to call them and then do it. It’s just like getting a job. Would you take the first person you meet?
- Do you have anything different or unusual about you? For example, I’m disabled now (in 2005 I had a stroke which meant I can’t do public speaking as I used to) so I ask if they have any experience with my type of disability.
- Trust not only their credentials, education and experience but your heart and your “gut feeling”. When I had small businesses with employees and there were two with a very similar resume, I went by how I felt about each one.
These five ideas will get you started. What’s YOUR experience with coaches been? Have they helped or hindered you and your business?
Image courtesy of Omhega1982 / FreeDigitalPhotos.net